Monday, January 20, 2014

Some Days Just Rock!

Today was one of  those days.

First, I was up at 5:30 and able to get  all my things done (shower, prayers, writing, breakfast--this baby growing inside me doesn't wait for the rest of 'em) before I woke the kids at 7:30.

They had a quick breakfast of cereal (because of plans for an early lunch), then we started schoolwork, all of which was done by 11:00 a.m.  ALL. Memory work, Bible Devotion, A Beka, Phonics, Grammar, Penmanship, Reading, Math, Science, Geography, Art.

Oh yeah... did I mention we had the foresight to cheat and do a lot of the chores last night before bed? We woke up to a clean house, so we only had to deal with cereal bowls before school.

Anyway, the  two first-ish-graders (my 4yo and 5yo) finished their science textbook, and we always make it a big deal and celebrate that promotion, getting out the next level book and "ooh-ing" and "ahhh-ing" over it, building a little excitement over starting it tomorrow.

And the 4yo realized he is just two pages away from finishing his Spectrum Phonics Grade 1 workbook. Oh... he's got some big britches now!  So pleased with himself. My little scholar. Cutie. He was just tickled pink.  I pulled out his shiny new Spectrum Phonics Grade 2 and  let him take a peek at it.  Ooooohhh... the excitement!

Then, the art journals were just terrific today.

"Sunflower" by Oli (4), using "How to Draw Flowers"

"Wolf" by Elon (5), using "1-2-3 Draw, Wild Animals"  I LOVE those "sound waves."

"Hippo" by Aram (8), also using  "1-2-3 Draw, Wild Animals"

THEN, we all took off for a surprise play date, meeting our good friends for lunch at Burger King--a huge treat.  'Cept we forgot that the public schools were closed today, so the homeschooler bonus of an empty play room didn't pan out.  Half the kids in town were there. Ear-splitting. But I got some grown-up visit time with my good friend, and the older kids played some games on the Kindle using the free wi-fi, and the littles got some banshee practice (fueled by lots of sugar and artificial colors).

Then, home for naps, and a nice quiet afternoon of play (30 minute Wii turns, alternating putting together puzzles with the 2yo, alternating  Legos).  Then another 10-minutes was all it took to stay on top of the chores.

So now, the 19yo is chauffering the 14yo & 8yo to choir practice, and I'm somehow going to keep the three littles from burning  down the house while I make a simmering pot of venison stew (hubby had to climb a tower today in this cold... got the fire stoked ready to warm him up, with a big mug of steaming hot chocolate, too!).

Looking forward to tonight's read-aloud time, too. Chapter 8 of "The Lion, The Witch, and  The Wardrobe."

Everyone is happy, singing, getting along... you would think we were the Von Trapp family, or something, today. Okay, 'cept for one tiny incident where the 2yo ripped a page out of an "I Spy Book", so I made him "sit" -- where he sits there and yells, "Make me sit! Make me sit!" Which only makes us all giggle. And, oh yeah, I forgot the 2yo soaked--I mean SOAKED his bed at nap time--that little body is not used to soda pop. But in the grand scheme of the day, it really didn't bother me to grab all the bedding and throw it in the washer, and run the steam cleaner over the mattress.

So... it was nice while it lasted. Who knows... maybe we'll keep up the momentum and have a whole week like this!  But, in my 11 years of homeschooling... I can't recall that ever happening.

Hope you had a rockin' day... or have one soon!

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment